Lead the General Accounting Department, including an accounting staff, in the preparation, review and analysis of monthly financial statements, including profit and loss statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flow.
Lead and manage a team of accountants, including selection/hiring, objective-setting, performance management, compensation management, coaching/development and training.
Ensure effective monthly close and maintain all accounting ledgers.
Prepare all financial reports, including Profit and Loss Statement, Balance Sheet and Statement of Cash Flows, as well as the year-end financial reporting, tax provision and tax return reporting packages
Own projections and budgets as they relate to all General & Administrative costs.
Provide timely explanations of variances between actual results and forecasts/budgets.
Provide corrective action recommendations to management, where necessary
Oversee the General Accounting processes of Inter-company and Project accounting, Fixed assets and weekly cash flow forecasting.
Implement Corporate Accounting Policies and interpret GAAP guidance in regards to accounting transactions.
Ensure for Sarbanes Oxley compliance of all accounting activities within the General Accounting department.
Ensure completion and review of all balance sheet reconciliations and identify and communicate findings.
Liaise effectively with finance constituents on financial accounting and reporting deliverables, issues and process improvements.
Work with internal and external auditors during reviews and audits to ensure full cooperation from accounting staff and compliance with all qualified requests.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; MBA and/or CPA preferred.
8+ years work experience in a financial environment; combination of both public and private accounting experience preferred
At least 3 years experience managing a General Accounting department with three or more direct reports
Demonstrated understanding of monthly financial statement with extensive experience preparing and issuing financial statements.
Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word & PowerPoint
Demonstrated application and knowledge of SOX 404
Demonstrated application and knowledge of Oracle and Hyperion Financial Management
Demonstrated interpersonal communication, customer service and analytical skills
Duties, Responsibilities And Expected Contributions
• Manage an efficient and timely periodic close process for the Corporate entity.
• Provide monthly and ad-hoc variance analyses for Finance and other department teams
• Interface with department heads on a regular basis to ensure accuracy, quality and completeness of financial information, identify potential areas of cost savings, and anticipate future initiatives which may require additional accounting research.
• Prepare quarterly and annual external reporting packages for the Corporate entity. Work with outside auditors during the annual audit.
• Manage the annual budget process for the Corporate entity, working closely with Financial Planning and Analysis team. Assist and guide departments in the budget preparation process.
• Ensure accuracy and compliance with current GAAP of all Corporate entity accounts, including equity, stock-based compensation, investments in affiliates and subsidiaries, corporate debt.
• Develop, implement and document policies, procedures and best practices over accounting and financial reporting for the Corporate entity.
• Coordinate with other Controllers to reconcile inter-company accounts and inter-company transactions involving the corporate entity.
• Conduct technical accounting research and develop conclusions related to corporate initiatives.
• Develop projections for the Corporate Entity on an ad-hoc basis
• Collaborate with Brokerage Accounting Manager and work closely with the Tax department to prepare the annual tax package as it relates to the Corporate entity.
• Develop and post into the general ledger the monthly corporate and allocations.
• Maintain the fixed asset ledger of the Corporate entity including tracking additions and disposals of all Corporate owned assets. Record the periodic depreciation and amortization of all these assets.
• Handle and manage the accounting process for M & A transactions, if any.
• Maintain excellent working relationships with departments and other finance functions, educate departments in Finance processes and procedures, drive transparency and usefulness of financial information provided to leadership.
• Stay current in US GAAP and advise management on applicable upcoming changes.
• Work with finance leaders on special projects.
A) Experience And Education
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required.
• CPA / MBA in Finance or Accounting strongly preferred.
• Minimum 5 years, 7+ years of experience preferred
• Public accounting experience preferred (2 years+)Finance/accounting department with exposure to budgeting and financial reporting (5+ years) required
B) Functional Knowledge and Business Expertise Required
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, superb ability to understand and explain complex concepts.
• Excellent GAAP and financial reporting technical skills
• Familiarity with accounting for stock-based compensation, internally-developed software, debt and equity
• Experience with budgeting and forecasting.
• Strong Excel skills
• Experience with general ledger and financial reporting tools (e.g., Hyperion, JD Edwards, FAS and spreadsheet server).
Contact A Stan Hamlet Associate: 212-685-4884